Bob is a thought-provoking author, speaker and public relations consultant. He has degrees in journalism, counseling and educational psychology and recently completed his doctorate in educational leadership at the University of Nevada, Reno, where he completed his dissertation on how the news media cover higher education institutions during times of crisis.
Bob is an open, thoughtful and insightful presenter. Not afraid of controversy, he blends humor and technical information to provoke audiences into thinking about the communications world in new ways. He is available to speak to audiences of all types and can easily tailor presentations to just about any group.
Suggested speaking topics include:
- The Future of Media: Where we’ve been and where we’re going
- Creating Community News: Keeping publicity alive an an era of downsized newsrooms
- Buy-In: Strategies for enhancing communications and transparency in complex organizations
- Scientific Misinformation: A look at the barriers between scientific knowledge and public perception
- Lessons Learned: Government and social media
- Spin: How the news media misinform and why consumers misunderstand
- “Crisis Response: Myths, Exceptions, Realities.” Orange County Public Relations Society of America Chapter, presented by the PRSA Western District, November 2010.
- “This is Reno” Panel Discussion, Public Relations Society of America Sierra Nevada Chapter, October, 2010.
- Non-partisan Panel Discussion (with Ryan Jerz) on avoiding the pitfalls of political advertising, Carson City Republican Women, October 2010.
- “Why This Is Reno: Community News Building from the Ground Up.” Panel discussion. Nevada Interactive Media Summit, 2010, University of Nevada, Reno.
- “Public Relations Planning: Strategy and Success.” Public Relations Society of America Sierra Nevada Chapter workshop for non-profit staff and executives, University of Nevada, Reno, 2010.
- “Wildfire & Invasive Species: Ecology & Environment of the Great Basin Region of the U.S.” (co-author). The 8th International Symposium, “Prospects for The Third Millennium Agriculture”, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 2009.
- “Budget Shortfalls & the Impact of the Current Economic Crisis on P-20 Education in Nevada” (co-author). American Education Research Association Annual Meeting, 2009, San Diego.
- “Unconventional PR Strategies: How Social Media Has Changed Communications” with Ronele Klingensmith, RKPR, Inc., Nevada Interactive Media Summit, 2009, University of Nevada, Reno.
- “Lessons Learned: A State Government Agency Using Social Media.” Nevada Interactive Media Summit, 2009, University of Nevada, Reno.
- “Scientific Misinformation: A Look at the Barriers Between Scientific Knowledge and Public Perception.” Public Relations Society of America, International Conference, Educator’s Academy, November 2006, Salt Lake City. Selected to present to public relations professors.
- “Marketing Your Program.” Nevada Career and Technical Educators, 2004, Annual Conference, invited presenter to Nevada career and technical educators.
Bob is available for speaking engagements, publications and writing opportunities. Contact Christel Hall at (949) 366-9189, or by email, for scheduling and information.